Does Your Deed Require Amendments And How Can A Legal Advisor Help You? Find Out

A valid deed provides proof that you own property, and gives you a right to sell, gift, or develop your land. However, this might only be possible if your certificate does not have errors that may nullify it in your state. Therefore, you may want to consult an estate planning attorney to examine your deed and determine whether it has any mistakes. This will help prevent inaccuracies that might take away the right to make important decisions about your property. Keep reading to know what errors your lawyer might identify in your deed and how they may correct them.

Potential Errors in Your Certificate

Human errors are possible in deeds and require immediate correction. This intervention prevents legal issues that may arise when using the certificate. Some potential mistakes on your document may include a wrongful description of the property. There may also be a typing error in your name, or you may have used your nickname instead of your official name. Your deed might also have the wrong consideration amount, or some necessary features could be missing. 

A certificate that does not have subscribing witnesses or has missing acknowledgments may also be faulty. This may also be the case if the witnesses' names are incorrect. These mistakes can cause defects to your deed, which could deny you the legal right to use it when selling or transferring property. So, you may want your legal advisor to rectify them immediately and ensure that your document is legal and valid.

How to Amend the Document

There are several ways to amend a faulty deed, and your legal advisor can determine the most suitable one. They will likely use an affidavit of correction to fix the errors or add crucial information that may be missing from the certificate. Your attorney outlines the errors they identify and details what should be included in the document. They also indicate the reasons why you've decided to correct the errors. In addition, they provide evidence that you've taken the necessary legal steps to make amendments to the certificate.

Your legal practitioner can also use a correction deed to make the necessary changes. For instance, they might use it to complete names or correct wrongly written words. A correction deed may also be effective in amending the execution or acknowledgment of defects.

Some deed errors are not easily identifiable, and you might only notice them when trying to sell or transfer property. This is why it is always advisable to get your certificate examined by an estate planning attorney. They will identify and correct the errors they notice. They do this after determining what type of corrective instrument will work best and is accepted in your state.